RR #83: Goraxus
|The following cards can be used as "matching commander" for Goraxus:|
- Sela (1 R 317) from Premiere BB
- Sela (17 V 47) from Life From Lifelessness
- Sela, Cunning Strategist (ST2E 14 R 107) from What You Leave Behind
- Sela, Devious Schemer (ST2E 4 R 173) from Nessesary Evil
This Card-Review was written by Kathy McCracken and was published first on "Major Rakals Tal Shiar Headquarters (members.cox.net/majorrakal)" at Oct 10th, 1999.
This article is part of the article serie "Romulan Review" from "Major Rakal (Kathy Mc Kracken)". Also see:
- Previous "Romulan Review" (# 82): "RR #82: Ambassador Tomalak".
- Next "Romulan Review" (# 84): "RR #84: A Little Romulan Disruption".
Aefvadh! My last ship review was of the D’deridex Advanced, a warbird with "a little something extra." Blaze of Glory gave us another new warbird with more modest attributes but with a different "something extra"...
Most features of this bird are standard-issue D'deridex--the staffing, the stats, and the cloaking device and tractor beam. Like all the other named warbirds, this one also has a matching commander: our old friend Sela from Premiere. So Ready Room Door captain downloads, Captain’s Log and the rest are as accessible for the Goraxus as for any of the ships, and Sela gets another reason for being included in your deck.
Three features set this warbird apart from the pack. The first is its holodeck. Not the first bird to sport a holodeck--the Decius has had one since Alternate Universe--but this one comes without the price tag of an AU Door/STP or an staffing requirement. At last, a proper home for Tomek and Jera, with no Holo-Projectors baggage, and more important, a home for our spiffy new green hologram, Chief O’Brien (I'll review him somewhat later). I've never bothered much with the holo-guys before, because the ship choices were so limited, but I'm giving them a careful look now.
The second feature worth noting is the ship's special download of Romulan Ambush. Once upon a time, that would have been about as useful as a special download for Barber Pole (sorry, Mot), since there was no way to drain your opponent's SHIELDS and no one used ships that wimpy. (See my Romulan Review #11 for a scathing review of Romulan Ambush.) But Blaze of Glory's new Tactic cards, at long last, provide the mechanism to bring Romulan Ambush out of the binders, the best being (appropriately enough) Target Shields. Use the Goraxus to ding your opponent's ship enough to bump his SHIELDS below the threshold, then the Romulan Ambush for a captive and a blown-away ship.
The third "feature" of this card is purely aesthetic: it is my hands-down favorite of all the warbird images, with all the lighted ports on the bird's head. It's great in the plain version and spectacular as a foil. Kudos to the designers for both the image selection and the selection for foiling.
The Major's Combos:
- Goraxus + Holo-Projectors + lots of Jeras: Are you being "plagued" by Aphasia Devices followed by those annoying Tarellians? Keep a few Jeras on your Goraxus. They'll make short work of the Aphasia Device, and you can always discard one to keep the Tarellians at bay.
- Goraxus + Sela + Captain's Log: That string of 8's, mildly lackluster for a warbird, looks a lot better as 8-11-11.