Romulus is one of the two homeworlds for the Romulans. The Romulan Star Empire establishes outposts throughout its territory.
Rule hint for this card
This card has an erratum:
This card is ❖ universal now and it's game text and title have been changed.
Game text before errata: "Seed one if playing Romulan OR build later at any location where a Romulan ENGINEER is present."Taken form Glossary - Version 1.9.5.
Card logging info: Logged by openCards team at May 1st, 2009.
This !type article was written by Kathy McCracken and was published first on "Major Rakals Tal Shiar Headquarters (members.cox.net/majorrakal)" at Jan 28th, 2000.
This article is part of the article serie "Romulan Review" from "Major Rakal (Kathy Mc Kracken)". Also see:
- Previous "Romulan Review" (# 93): "RR #93: Sela".
- Next "Romulan Review" (# 95): "RR #95: Cargo Bay".
Aefvadh! Since Deep Space Nine came out, Nors and Headquarters have been all the rage. Ore Processing and Ops downloads on the one hand and free reports on the other have a lot going for them. Nors aren't all that convenient for Romulans to use, but now that the Romulans have, not one, but two Headquarters cards, it's easy to forget about that most mundane of facilities, the one that predates the card type "Facility", the one that I once bought for 75 cents at a comic book shop, because I didn't get one in half a dozen starter decks, and Warp Packs and Neutral Outposts didn't exist yet...
So why do you want one of these, with the Office of the Proconsul and Continuing Committee allowing you to report all your Romulans, and all those Senators and Tal Shiar operatives playing for free? What more could you want? Well, here are my Top Ten Reasons for Using a Romulan Outpost.
- No matter how many Tal Shiar you can report for free to the Continuing Committee, you can't seed a Spacedoor on it to download their D’deridex Advanced warbirds.
- Damaged ships are tough to repair when you have no place to dock them. You could use a Nor with Docking Pylons...
- ...but with an outpost, you can play a Spacedock (downloaded with that Spacedoor) for instant repairs.
- A Romulan Outpost can seed at any Alpha quadrant Romulan mission. The HQs require Romulus, and that needs Espionage or HQ: Secure Homeworld to solve with Romulans. Not to mention how disastrous it can be to have Romulus assimilated.
- Data’s Body can seed at an outpost but not at any other facility.
- Your opponent can't report Lore, Zon or other strong-arm types aboard your outpost.
- An answer of four lights will let Madred score 2 for an Interrogation - but only aboard an outpost.
- If you can't scrape up three MEDICAL, REM Fatigue Hallucinations can be cured by returning to your outpost. Likewise Vole Infestations and Baryon Buildups. You'll find no medical expertise or vermin exterminators at headquarters.
- Fractal Encryption Code and an android will keep your outpost from assimilation. They can't help your headquarters.
- And the number one reason for using a Romulan Outpost... : Takket, Mopak, Selok, R’Mal, Palteth, Tarus, Tomek, Parem and Tallus. Bonus points from your mission specialists are only half of the equation. If you want to be able to download them too, an outpost is your only choice.
The Major's FAQ Trivia:
While the rules now state unequivocally that an outpost is always located in space (regardless of whether it is located at a space or planet mission), it was not always thus.
- When was it first stated that outposts are located in space (what expansion rules)?
- The Deep Space Nine expansion rules clarified that all facilities were space facilities unless their text stated that they played on a planet.
- Where were outposts located prior to that? In what FAQ did this first appear?
- FAQ 3 (Feb. 95) said outposts were not considered to be located either on a planet or in space; it was "a more amorphous concept that that."
- You have always been able to board a ship from an outpost by walking through a conceptual airlock; you didn't have to beam aboard. How did you get from an outpost to a planet surface between 12/96 and 5/97?
- The 12/96 FAQ said: "You are not required to beam when moving ...from an outpost to a planet." (!) In other words, you could "walk" between outpost and planet. But in the 5/97 FAQ update, once again you were required to beam from an outpost to a planet. So apparently the outpost wasn't actually on the planet - but it wasn't yet specified to be in space, either.
The Major's Combos:
- Romulan Outpost + Spacedoor + D'deridex Advanced: Such a powerful ship, and it's universal. No waiting for it to come up in your deck; just download. Reopen your Spacedoor at the end of each turn by discarding a card, and you're ready to download another 'bird next turn. And you can only do it at an outpost.
- Romulan Outpost + Office of the Proconsul and/or Continuing Committee: Hedge your bets and get the best of both worlds - free personnel reports and mission specialist downloads.