Card logging info: Logged by openCards team at May 1st, 2009.
|Commander Charvanek counts as "matching commander" for the following ships or facilities:|
- Battle Cruiser (11 C 129) from Mirror, Mirror
This Card-Review article was written by Kathy McCracken and was published first on "Major Rakals Tal Shiar Headquarters (members.cox.net/majorrakal)" at Mar 24th, 2001.
This article is part of the article serie "Romulan Review" from "Major Rakal (Kathy Mc Kracken)". Also see:
- Previous "Romulan Review" (# 114): "RR #114: The Centurion".
- Next "Romulan Review" (# 116): "RR #116: Subcommander Tal".
Aefvadh! What was it with the writers of the classic series Romulan episodes? They apparently couldn't think of names for any of the people. The Enterprise Incident presents us with another unnamed "Romulan Commander", but one clearly distinguishable from the Balance of Terror "Romulan Commander" -- this one is a woman! The Star Empire, it seems, achieved equal opportunity goals in their military before the Federation (though they clothed them in similar mini-skirted uniforms). Once again the game designers came through and managed not to leave the lady nameless, drawing from a Star Trek novel for her name...
Charvanek's regular skills are solid and useful, though not outstanding. As an OFFICER she's a battle leader and can become a MEDICAL, ENGINEER, or SECURITY (or add another SCIENCE) with the appropriate equipment. Diplomacy for those pesky Shakas, Archaeology for planet missions, and Physics for the odd space mission and passing Quantum Fissure fill out the slate. Attributes are relatively low for a Romulan (though her INTEGRITY is adequate) -- you may want to keep Keras's Centurion around to help.
But the reason why every non-Borg affiliation should think about stocking Charvanek in the Tent is her special skill -- that is, unless you favor Patrol Neutral Zone x6 decks. As long as you have a compatible facility or a Devidian Door to report her, you can deflate your opponent's 60-point PNZs to a more reasonable 30 points, even after he's solved them. (But you'd better get her out quickly before he can complete the second one. Mission Debriefing is a good idea.) The moment she hits the table, that variable X becomes equal to a fixed 3, and the "once in play" means "for the rest of the game." Brain Drain her, kill her, put her in stasis -- X still equals 3.
Commander Charvanek even has her own ship -- the universal Battle Cruiser (the writers weren't much on naming the ships, either). Its download is for a universal personnel, so she can't report that way, Ready Room Door being her best option.
The Major's Combos:
- Commander Charvanek + Keras + The Centurion + Fissure Research: I used to ignore this perfectly respectable space mission -- a natural for a Romulan Space deck -- because there just weren't enough good AU Romulans to assure meeting the stiff requirement of three AU icons. No problem with this OS team, who have not only the icons but the skills to go with them.
- Commander Charvanek + opponent's PNZ deck: Go ahead and bump her off as revenge. Makes no difference; you're still going to have to complete four of them now instead of two.
- Commander Charvanek + I Tried To Warn You: Add insult to injury. Not only are the 6 PNZs only worth 30 points each now, but you can make one of them unattemptable or, even better, worth zero points after it has been solved.
- Commander Charvanek + Patrol Neutral Zone: If you're going to play Romulan anyway, how about a nice, easy 30-point mission? All you need is a Leadership skill (use Tallus and Assign Mission Specialists for an extra 5). And keeping your opponent out of a one-mission Neutral Zone should be easy, especially if you plant your outpost there.